Monday, December 15, 2008

Mmm...

So one of the great things about being home (aside from the obvious top two reasons -- spending time with family and getting to do more knitting) is getting to eat Mom's cooking. Dining hall food leaves a lot to be desired, and right before I come home I start making lists of different favorite dishes I want during break. Mom's been making some delicious things since I've been home, and I've also been trying my hand out more in the kitchen -- good life skill to learn how to chop, bake, etc. Every now and then, I think to snap a picture. So in lieu of knitting updates (and knitting definitely has been getting done, but no photos yet ... that's coming soon), here's a sampling of some of my favorite food since I've been home. And at the end of the post, my first recipe!
Popovers. We use a King Arthur mix, which is really great. We discovered popovers when were college hunting for me, had to mail order a popover pan, and have been making them ever since. We like them best with almond butter.

Thanksgiving stuffing. Mom makes up a different stuffing recipe every year. They are all delicious, but this year was one of the best. Featuring dry cranberries and shiitake mushrooms.

Butternut squash and sweet potato soup with spinach-cranberry-walnut-feta salad. Both were simply delicious.

Homemade salsa. This is one of the things I miss most at home. Salsa from a jar just doestn' compare. I love the fresh cilantro!

This is the banana bread last night. I looked at some different recipes, then un-vented. I was pretty proud of this ... I've never made up a recipe before. And it's already half eaten, so it seemed it went over well! And it's not super high in fat -- only two tablespoons of butter in the whole recipe! So I've included my first recipe if you want to try it out.

Katherine's Un-vented Banana Bread
1 c. white flour
1 c. wheat flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 smashed bananas
1 egg
1/4 c. milk
2 TBSPs melted butter
2 TBSPs hot water
chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all the dry ingredients -- I used 1 c. wheat and white flour, but you could just use white if you're not into the whole wheat-y thing. In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk, butter and hot water and mix. Pour the wet mixture and bananas into the dry mixture and mix just until everything's incorporated. Fold in walnuts if using -- and I would recommend you do! I couldn't, because my sister doesn't eat walnuts, but I think it would have been so yummy with them. Pour in a loaf pan and bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes -- knife inserted near the middle should come out clean. Let cool and enjoy!

What's on the stove for tonight?
Mmmm .... better get cooking!

No comments: