Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Summer Nights

One of the things I love most about being home in the summer is the evening time. Everyone's off work, there's no rush to get a certain little 6 year old in bed on time and the dinners are late and delicious (like the other night's for example -- kalamata olive hummus with pita, tabouleh and grilled butternut squash).

There's another thing to love about summer nights. Its when most of our knitting happens. Even now when my summer job has come to an end, or on the weekend, say, not that much knitting happens during the daylight hours, and it's not for lack of trying. Take today for example. Today, I had a plan. I was going to get up, finish the toe of my first Pom Pom Peds (pom pom footies are very in at our house currently), continue swatching for my Ravelympics project and do some work on the project-that-must-not-be-named. And how much of that has happened? You guessed it ... absolutely none. I was completely sidetracked by my first encounter with Twist Collective and spent the whole morning drooling over so many gorgeous patterns (and these adorable socks, too).

The same thing happens to Mom and me on the weekends. We're going to knit .. but there's that one thing we were going to look at, and suddenly, we've been on Ravelry for two hours (and ordered some yarn to boot). But no matter what, the evenings are our time to knit. We pop in a movie (or, if it's Wednesday, watch the newest episode of Project Runway!) and lately have been getting at least a few hours in before bed.

And besides, sometimes some really great stuff happens during summer days. The other day, my little brother and I made these together:


Whole wheat chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. He had a great time baking, and I had a great time helping him. I hate that I miss that sort of thing while I'm away at school. And the other bonus is that the cookies are low fat. Most of the butter is replaced with applesauce (only 2 TBSPs for the whole batch) and they're absolutely delicious. Mom and I have been trying to watch what we eat and exercise, and these are a perfect almost guiltless treat for those summer evenings when a sweet tooth hits. We used this recipe, but used whole wheat flour instead.

Lots of knitting has been going on, but I don't have any photos to show. We're getting geared up for the Ravelympics and also trying to finish up pom pom peds to be gifted. So the next post, I promise, will have some actually knitting to show off.

Until then, happy knitting (and training for the Ravelympics)!

No comments: