Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What happens when Mom comes to town ...

So Mom just spent a FANTASTIC five days with me in London. While she was here, we hit up every knitting store we could and cast on/worked on Orangina in the moments we weren't running around. We also went to some delicious restaurants and, most importantly, had scones with clotted cream every chance we got.

Up until Mom's visit, I think I'd shown some admirable self-restraint as far as yarn purchases (or any purchases for that matter...) went. But when she came, I threw caution to the wind and bought more yarn in a 3 day span than I ever have.

So, without further ado, the purchases... (I apologize for the photo quality .. they were taken very quickly on a bed in a hotel room before Mom packed the yarn up to take back to the states ... I was over the weight limit on the way over here, so she tried to take some stuff back for me so I don't have that problem again.)

Purchase 1 (from I Knit London): Garthenor Organic DK, 8 balls of the marled and 3 of the solid brown. I'm thinking of making a cardigan and using the solid for the ribbing, button band and little elbow patches.


Purchase 2 (from Loop): Savannah DK ... Mom treated me to this one .. the yarn is quite luxurious .. I felt very spoiled. I got the three skeins pictured ... I'm thinking either a hat and handwarmers or some sort of cute little summer tank.

Purchase 3 (from John Lewis!): 5 balls Rowan Damask. Ok, so who knew you could buy Rowan and Debbie Bliss in department stores here?! We were shocked! Mom and I both got some of this (she got a lovely green colorway) and are going to make some sort of tank. Maybe the lacy tank from Last Minute Knitted Gifts or the Razor Cami that I saw on six one seven's blog today.

I had such a great time while Mom was here, and now I really can't wait to head home (in a month!). It was so hard saying goodbye to her on Monday. We had such a wonderful time frolicking about the city and, of course, obsessing over knitting...

Right now, I'm on holiday in Dublin. Going to try to scope out some knitting stores, but it seems they are outside of the actual city. Will have to see if I can make it out there. Hopefully will have more pictures up soon. My camera appears to be broken (and I've only had it since August!) but I'm going to see if I can get it repaired tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments: