Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fighting off the Cold

So, it may seem a little late to be revealing Christmas knitting, but if brookyln tweed can do it, so can I!


So, this hat and scarf set was gifted right at Christmas and has been experiencing heavy use (yay!) ever since. The scarf stitch is mistake rib à la Last Minute Knitted Gifts, knit in Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky Hand Dyes in shade 2001. The yarn was an absolute joy to work with, and the finished product is very soft, lush and warm. The hat was just sort of a generic pattern that I tinkered around with, adding a garter stitch brim, knit with Peace Fleece Worsted in Siberian Midnight. I've been knitting hats and scarves for the giftee for the past few years, and I think this year's offering may have been his favorite. It does my heart good to see him bundle up in them before we head out into the Minnesota winter ... nothing like seeing hand knits worn and appreciated!

Mom also whipped up a pair of those fingerless mitts that seem to be popping up everywhere these days.
Pattern: None really .. she just looked at a couple ones she had and made it up as she went along
Yarn: Morehouse Merino 3-Strand Yarn in Variegated Wild Rose
Needles: 2 #5 Addi Turbos

She made these to keep my sister's notoriously cold hands warm, hoping they'd be something she could wear out as well as around the house. Unfortunately, after about two weeks or so of wear, they have pilled like crazy and look nothing like the above picture. Maybe she can make another pair out of Knitting New Mittens and Gloves ... we both just looked at Grumperina's post on that book and it looks really nifty.

It's been in the negative double digits here, and I'm wishing I'd spent a little more time working on hats, scarves and mittens that weren't being gifted .. haha. In the one or two week lull before my final exams, I'm trying to cram as much knitting in as possible. In a couple days, we should have some pictures up of two sweaters in progress. Hope you're warmer than I am and getting lots of knitting done ...

No comments: